The making of the box

Image

After deciding the new measurements, the design was taken down to the woodwork tutor who was dealing with it, we decided that the roof was necessary however having a blackout curtain for a door was a much better idea, it would give people more freedom to move in and out as they pleased, it would cut out more light and close off the box more, it would prevent wastage of more materials and it would reduce time and cost. The blackout curtain was advised to be available from the photography studios, so I left that for later.

Image

When the sides of the box were constructed I went down to the woodwork workshop so that we could check how it would be constructed and the size of the piece. I was so happy with it when we finally managed to get it all clamped together, despite initial confusion about how things would join together and the positioning of various parts. The sheer size of the piece really hit me, it was big and I realised just how much of a huge task I’d set myself in taking on this project, the wood was expensive but the structure was sturdy, could take a bit of a knock without collapsing and I felt confident with allowing members of the public sitting inside it for a few minutes. There was still a lot of work to do but the shrinking of the measurements was very useful as not only did it help to make the piece look better, but it also reduced the amount the wood cost, the wood wastage, the amount of painting and time it would need spending on just making it look interesting. I was glad at this point that my fears of it being too small and that it wouldn’t stand out were clearly not true, anyone who walked past this, even at this stage without being painted commented on the size of it, often with the response of ‘woah thats big’ 

Image

The woodwork tutors had been dubious about how much paint I would need, one even saying that he didn’t think even 5 litres would be enough, this was a big concern, but I decided to buy 2.5lr and if more was needed I would have gone back. It became quickly apparent that I wasn’t even going to get halfway through a tin of 2.5lr. 
The pieces looked great black, the matte finish and the need for such a dark, closed off space worked really well, it took 2 and a half days in total getting all of it painted to a good standard. 

Then it was time to fit it all together and this could only be done once everything had dried. It was very odd going into the final stages of the construction after so much planning and changes had been made to the piece, including the complete removal of a door, but it was exciting and I wanted to get it put together as quickly as possible. 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s